What is a rodenticide and how does it work

The use of poisons to control rats has a long history among us. These have proven to be effective in warding off various diseases transmitted by these rodents. 

Let’s take a closer look at how mouse poison works and where we can get these products. 

What is a rodenticide

A rodenticide or rodenticide is a chemical compound that is used to eliminate, control or repel the residence and reproduction of rodents. 

In the beginning, its use was frequent in the agricultural field, but now it also has application at the domestic level.

The popularity of these poisons has spread because rodents often settle in urban spaces in search of food and water. 

Because the texture and smell of the rodenticide are attractive, its consumption ends up being lethal for these animals.

The evolution of rodenticides

Anticoagulant chemicals have been used for rat infestations for several decades, since they effectively eliminate or repel the plague of mice. 

Warfarin was originally used as a rodent poison, but other discoveries were made at the same time. 

As which? Substances such as coumachlor and coumafuryl took more prominence. 

All these rodenticides had a high degree of effectiveness as poisons of continuous ingestion. But it was discovered that the rodents began to show resistance to its components. 

For this reason, other stronger anticoagulants called second generation were developed. These rodenticides are more toxic and the lethal dose is reached only in a single intake. 

Rodenticides: how mouse poison works

Anticoagulant poisons are absorbed orally and act on the rodent’s bloodstream. 

To achieve this, they inhibit the enzymes of vitamin K responsible for the clotting act. 

They usually kill the rodent due to spontaneous heavy bleeding within 2 to 4 days of ingestion. 

Other types of non-clotting venom work differently. 

After oral ingestion of bromethalin, for example, the nervous system is affected producing muscle stiffness (ataxia). 

In the case of zinc phosphide, when it comes into contact with gastric mucosa, it releases a lethal gas that will affect the kidneys, heart and liver.

And cholecalciferol causes an uncontrolled elevation of calcium levels in the bloodstream and death will be due to organ failure.

Can a mouse infestation be eliminated with an application?

Although it is a common wish, it does not seem to be entirely real to expect that to happen. 

The rodents can perceive symptoms of the poison that they ingest in one place and not return to finish the lethal dose, but they will migrate to other nearby sectors.

That is why they talk about how to control the plague of mice. The chemical agent should be placed in strategic places and then a written follow-up of the activity should be done. Significant advances can be made in various applications. 

Precautions when placing rodenticides

They should always be stored and applied in areas difficult to access for children or pets. In fact, most of the feeding stations meet these characteristics. 

Equally important is that the chemical agents used are applied by professionals. 

At Rentokil we have a trained staff that knows how to control this infestation and its effective treatment. 

It is true that maintaining hygiene and not leaving food exposed are useful measures to reduce rodents. But now that we know how to control mouse infestation, we understand that chemicals are the best solution in the battle against rodents.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *